Special arrangements for registering to vote

Register to vote anonymously if you're in danger

If you are concerned about your personal safety and would be at risk if your details were included in the electoral register, you can apply to be registered as an anonymous elector.

Send the form along with your supporting evidence to the contact details below.

Your form will need to be signed by a police officer of the rank of superintendent or above or the Director General of the Security Services or the Serious Organised Crime Agency.


Register to vote as a Crown servant or as a British Council employee

If you’re working outside the UK as a Crown servant or as an employee of the British Council, you can register to vote.

You can also register if you’re married to, or are the civil partner of, a Crown servant or British Council employee and you’re accompanying them during their employment abroad.

You’ll be eligible to vote in all elections.

Vote by proxy

If you’re living abroad, it is advisable that you appoint a proxy to vote on your behalf as there is unlikely to be enough time for postal votes to reach you and be sent back before close of poll.

Your can apply for a proxy vote online here.


Register to vote if you are a prisoner on remand

Prisoners on remand are those who are not currently serving a prison sentence and are entitled to register to vote.