New tenants information

If you’ve just moved, or are about to move, into a council house in Tamworth, we warmly welcome you to your new home!

On this page, you can find information that might be useful in the early days of your tenancy. We’d encourage you to explore the other sections of our council tenant hub for everything else you might need to know about life as a tenant of Tamworth Borough Council. We hope you’ll be very happy in your home and are always here to help.

You can watch our introductory video here on YouTube.

Your new home

Your new home will have been inspected and prepared for you. It won’t be furnished or decorated, but everything should be clean and tidy.

Gas and electricity: You’ll need to get your gas and electricity connected.

  1. Find out who your suppliers are and tell them you’ve moved in. For gas use Find my Supplier and for electric you can use UK Power.
  2. Make sure you have credit in your account
  3. Call our repairs team on 0800 183 0044 Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm. Please note we need at least 24 hours’ notice to reconnect your gas and electric supply, and this does not include evenings and weekends.

Citizens Advice have some useful information about this on their dealing with your energy supply when moving webpages.

RSA Tenants contents insurance website: As your landlord, we are only responsible for building insurance and you will need to arrange your own contents insurance for your personal belongings. To help with the cost, we have negotiated a scheme with the Royal and Sun Alliance for you to consider.
Please visit the RSA Tenants Contents Insurance website which includes the link to apply and further information around contents insurance and what the this covers.

Your online housing account

We’d recommend setting up an account on the dedicated MyHousing platform if you haven’t already. This online service is available 24/7 and enables you to check your rent balance and make payments, change your personal details, view your repairs history, contact your housing officer, and more.

Updating your Council Tax information

Please let our Council Tax team know you’ve moved. You can do this online by setting up an account on the MyTamworth customer portal.

You can see how much Council Tax you have to pay and find contact details for the team on our Council Tax webpages.

Updating the Electoral Register

You will also need to register your new address with the Electoral Register. You can do this directly via the Government’s electoral register website.


That all-important information about when your bins will be emptied at your new address can be found on Lichfield District Council’s website – our joint partners for the waste service.

If you have already paid for a green bin in Tamworth this year, you can move your subscription to your new address. Or perhaps your new home has a bigger garden and you would like to register for garden waste collection for the first time.

Visit this link for everything you need to know about recycling, bins and waste.

Other useful links