covid-19 adviceCoronavirus (COVID-19)
Check out the latest information and advice about Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Scrap metal dealers

Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013

Do you buy, sell or collect Scrap Metal?

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 came into effect on 1st October 2013. The new legislation requires that any persons collecting, buying or selling scrap will require a Scrap Metal Dealer Licence that will be issued by this council. There will be a charge for this licence.

There will be two types of licence:

  • site licence
  • collector’s licence

Apply for a licence

An application needs to be made for your licence and a fee will be payable to the Council. You will also need to submit a basic criminal record disclosure form no older than a month old as part of the application process. Any persons who carry out business as a scrap metal dealer without a licence may be liable on conviction to maximum fine of £5,000.

Your can only hold one type of licence in any one local authority's area; definitive guidance is awaited as to site licences allowing the licensee to collect scrap. It is anticipated that a site licence will allow you to collect scrap in your local authority area.

Your collector’s licence will allow you to collect scrap only within the authority area that it was issued. You will need to apply for collector’s licences from separate authorities should you wish to operate in more than one Council area.

Please note these do not replace the Waste Carrier’s Licence. To collect scrap in the Tamworth area you will be required to hold a licence issued by the relevant Council and a Waste Carriers Licence that is issued by the Environment Agency.

To ensure you can operate as a scrap metal dealer or collector in this area by the time the legislation is in force you will need to submit a valid application form with the correct documentation and fee between 1st & 15th October 2013. Once we have received your valid application we will issue you a provisional licence or a letter stating your licence is being processed that is valid until 1st December 2013, we will then ensure you have your full licence issued by 1st December. If you do not apply by the 15th October 2013 you will not be able to operate legally until your licence has been issued.



Grant Site Licence


Additional Site(s)


Renewal Site Licence


Variation Site Licence


Grant Collectors Licence


Renewal Collectors Licence


Variation Collectors Licence


Replacement or copy licence


Change of licence details (Trading Name, address etc)


Change of Site Manager


Change of Site 


Change Collectors to Site Licence


Change Site to Collectors Licence