covid-19 adviceCoronavirus (COVID-19)
Check out the latest information and advice about Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Paying your rent

Government Announces Radical Package of Measures to Protect Renters Affected by Coronavirus

  • Emergency legislation to suspend new evictions from social or private rented accommodation
  • No new possession proceedings through applications to the court to start during the crisis

For more information visit: 

Are you a Tamworth Borough Council tenant and struggling to pay your rent as an effect of the coronavirus?

If you are struggling to pay your rent then please contact us soon as possible as we are available to help and give advice, as you may be entitled to claim benefits including universal credit which may assist with covering the cost of your rent.   

Contact: Tel: 01827 709514. Email: 

Available Monday to Friday from 8:45am to 5:10pm, with exception of Friday when we close at 5:05pm (closed bank holidays).

IMPORTANT NEWS – Don’t forget the Rent Free Weeks for Council Tenants of Tamworth Borough Council

  • 23 March 2020
  • 30 March 2020
  • 24 August 2020
  • 21 December 2020
  • 22 March 2021
  • 29 March 2021

Paying your rent is part of your tenancy agreement. It should take priority over other debts as you could lose your home if you do not pay your rent.

Ideally you should pay your weekly rent in advance. This means paying your rent every Monday. If you don't, your account will be in debt and you will be in arrears. Alternative payments such as fortnightly, four-weekly or monthly can be made in agreement with your Housing Officer. These should be made in advance. If you are joint tenants you are both responsible for paying the rent. If one party leaves, you both remain fully responsible for rent.

The following dates are rent free weeks:

  • 23 December 2019
  • 23 March 2020
  • 30 March 2020
  • 24 August 2020
  • 21 December 2020
  • 22 March 2021
  • 29 March 2021


  1. - this government website address is very useful and informative, as it provides all the information you will ever need including financial support provided by the government for working people who cannot go out to work due to the coronavirus.
  2. - this is a good clear BBC update - The government will pay the wages of employees unable to work due to the coronavirus pandemic, in a radical move aimed at protecting people's jobs. It will pay 80% of salary for staff who are kept on by their employer, covering wages of up to £2,500 a month.The "unprecedented" measures will stop workers being laid off due to the crisis, chancellor Rishi Sunak said.
  3. - this is a good BBC update too - Self-employed workers can apply for a grant worth 80% of their average monthly profits to help them cope with the financial impact of coronavirus, the chancellor has announced. The money - up to a maximum of £2,500 a month - will be paid in a single lump sum, but will not begin to arrive until the start of June at the earliest

Our commitment to you

  • Give you a rent account number and issue an Allpay card and offer a range of payment methods
  • Give help and advice if you have rent difficulties
  • Help you with forms
  • Contact you if you fall into arrears and offer you a realistic payment plan
  • Send out quarterly rent statements and consult with you annually on rent increases

If you are having problems paying your rent contact us immediately. Do not wait until you receive an arrears letter or ignore letters we send you.
Contact: Tel:
01827 709514. Email:

Make an arrangement with us to pay as much as you can to reduce your arrears and stick to it. By staying in contact with us we can work together.

What will happen if you do not pay your rent:

  • Stage 1: Missed rent payments/paying less than you should; We will contact you. If you do not pay your arrears or they increase, we will contact you again.
  • Stage 2: If these remain unpaid, you will receive notice informing you we intend to take you to court; a Notice of Seeking Possession or a Notice to Quit.
  • Stage 3: At any time between four weeks and one year after sending a Notice Of Seeking Possession or a Notice To Quit, we can issue a court summons
  • Stage 4: Application to the courts. Usually you can stay in your home, if you pay off arrears at an appropriate rate. You will be liable for all court costs.
  • Stage 5: If you do not keep to the Court Order arrangements, we will apply for a warrant to evict you. This is a a last resort
  • Stage 6: The bailiffs will call to evict you. If you are evicted you are likely to be deemed 'intentionally homeless'. This means that you may not be re-housed by us and are likely to have difficulty finding somewhere else to live.