New Council Tenant Information

Welcome to your new home.

We know that moving home can be daunting. Here you’ll find advice and guidance to help things run smoothly.

What can I expect from my new home?

  • If you are moving into one of our high rise flats please read our health and safety guide
  • New locks will be fitted to all external doors
  • Any rubbish will be cleared from the garden, the Council is not responsible for laying turf
  • Smoke detectors will be fitted
  • The bathrooms will be sanitised and new w.c. seats fitted
  • The kitchen units and worktops will be in good working order
  • The gas and electrics will have been checked for safety
  • If the fence is broken and it leads onto a public area it will be repaired however the council doesn’t provide fencing between neighbours
  • The property will be cleaned throughout
  • The council doesn’t provide white goods or floor coverings
  • We may issue decoration vouchers if the décor is in poor condition

Gas & electric supply

  • For safety, the gas and electric have been disconnected. Now that you’re a tenant, you must make arrangements to have the gas and electric accounts put in your name
  • Contact the suppliers to tell them you’ve moved in
  • To find out who your gas supplier is you can use the search tool www.findmysupplier or call 0870 608 1524 
  • For electric or call 0870 608 1524
  • Once you have credit on the meter YOU WILL STILL NOT HAVE GAS TO YOUR HOME
  • Next step, call Repairs tel 0800 183 0044 Monday to Friday 9-5pm. They will then arrange a gas engineer to call within 24 hours to reconnect the service and carry out safety checks. NOTE, this can’t be done at weekends or out of hours
  • We will send you a copy of the gas safety check certificate
  • Here’s a useful guide if your home has electric heating (pdf)

Energy Performance Certificate
You will be sent an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for your home. It contains information about the property’s energy use, typical cost as well as how to reduce energy use & save money

Moving home checklist

  • Hiring a van or removals?
  • Need a skip for clearing out unwanted items?
  • If you currently rent a home, even if that is through Tamworth Borough Council, check your contract for the notice period you will have to give to us and make arrangements to return your keys
  • Will your carpets fit?
  • The Council does not provide floor coverings or white goods
  • Are there going to be additional expenses?
  • Will your children need to move schools?
  • Redirect your mail
  • Tell Council Tax that you’ve moved. You can do this online here.
  • Register on the electoral role

Useful links: