Houses in Multiple Occupation

If you rent out a property for house in multiple occupation (HMO), you may require a licence from us. This is to ensure the property is safe and meets basic occupancy standards.

About HMOs
Apply for a licence and read our guidance
Guide for landlords and tenants

You need a licence if your property is:

  • Occupied by five or more people
  • Shared facilities such as a bathroom or kitchen

It is an offence if you fail to submit a full application for an HMO licence or request a Temporary Exemption Notice.  You could face enforcement action and fines of up to £20,000.

If you are not sure if you need a licence contact us or read the government guidance. We also have a set of standards developed specially for Tamworth.  We can prosecute HMO landlords who operate without a licence. We can also refuse you a licence.

  How much is a licence?

  • Application fee: £574.80 for a five bedspace house
  • An additional £37.79 applies for each bedspace above five
  • If you require a licence and you are taking steps towards this, you can apply for a Temporary Exemption Notice (TEN).

We will grant a licence if:

  • The property requires a licence in accordance with the Housing Act 2004
  • We are satisfied that - subject to the proposed licence conditions - the property is suitable for occupation
  • The proposed licence holder is a fit and proper person
  • The proposed licence holder is the most appropriate person to hold the licence
  • The person managing the property will be the proposed licence holder
  • Subject to the conditions of the licence the management arrangements are satisfactory

Contact us:
Housing Conditions and Supply Team, Tamworth Borough Council, Marmion House, Lichfield Street, Tamworth, B79 7BZ.
Email: Tel: 01827 709486.