Animal Boarding

Animal Boarding Licence

Dog boarding kennels and catteries have to be licensed by the Council under the Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963. An annual inspection is carried out to ensure that animals are kept in a clean and safe environment which complies with the legislation.

You will need a Boarding Establishment licence from the Council for any boarding of a dog or cat whether it is within any kennel/cattery environment or within your own home or premises.

Dog walkers do not require a boarding licence if you are only offering collection and drop off service from the dogs own home. However, it you are offering any period of the time during the day spent at your own or other property you will require a boarding licence.

The number of dogs and cat that can be kept will be stated on the licence along with other conditions.

The Council can ask an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect a licensed premises if necessary.

How to apply

This is an annual licence that is valid from 1 January to 31 December each year. A licence applied for during the year will have the full fee but will still expire on the 31st December.

An application must be submitted along with the correct fee.

A summary of the Regulations for this licence are available by clicking the link.

To apply for a licence to operate an animal boarding establishment complete this form and return to: Tamworth Borough Council, Environmental Health Department, Marmion House, Lichfield Street, Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79 7BZ.

Making an application

The following will be looked at when deciding an application:

  • The animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation includes the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be kept, space for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation.
  • Suitable food, drink and bedding materials must be provided and animal must be exercised and visited regularly.
  • Steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
  • Plans are in place to protect the animals in a fire or emergency.
  • The register should include a description of all animals, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. the register should be available to be inspected at any time by a council officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.

Your premises will be inspected by the Councils Animal Welfare Officer to establish whether the premises are suitable. This will be carried out annually and may also take place following a complaint.

If you intend to use your own home for any kind of business you will need to contact the Planning department, as you may need to apply for a change of use. You may be asked to provide proof that this has been completed.

Model Conditions

CIEH Model licence conditions and guidance for Cat Boarding establishments.

CIEH Model licence conditions and guidance for Dog Boarding establishments.

Tamworth Borough Council Home Boarding Conditions.

Licenced Boarding Establishments

Click here to see a list of boarding establishments licenced by Tamworth Borough Council.