Alcohol and entertainment licences

The Licensing Act 2003 requires a premises licence to be held for any of the following:

  • Retail sale or the supply of alcohol
  • Performance of a play or exhibition of a film
  • Indoor sporting events or boxing or wrestling events
  • Performing live music and dancing
  • Supplying hot food or drink between 11.00pm and 5.00am.

There are no set licensing hours. Licensees are free to apply for any hours they want.  The Act also requires premises supplying hot food and drink after 11pm to be licensed, including takeaways. Where alcohol is being sold, it is also necessary for someone who holds a Personal Licence to authorise the sale.

There is also a Club Premises Certificate (for premises such as voluntary and social clubs) and a notification process for small short-term events, called a Temporary event notice. At present it is not possible to apply for a premises licence online.

The application forms were recently updated. The latest versions can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.

Responsible Authorities

Applications also have to be sent to various responsible bodies. Please click here for details.


Please click here for details of fees for all types licences.

Statement of licensing policy

Tamworth Borough Council is required to publish a Statement of Licensing Policy. The gives the general principles that we take into account when making decisions. It also provides clarity for licensing applicants and residents.  When submitting licence applications, applicants have to consider the policy and show how they will achieve the Government's four licensing objectives:

The prevention of crime and disorder; Public safety, Prevention of public nuisance; Protecting children from harm.

Public Consultation on applications

Under the Licensing Act 2003 various powers are available to safeguard those affected by a licence.  When an application is made for a provisional statement, a new or major variation of a Premises Licence or a Club Premises Certificate there is a 28 day consultation period.  During this consultation period another person such as a responsible authority, local resident or local business may submit a representation (either supporting or objecting to the application).

Representations must be made relating to one of the four licensing objectives.

Gov.UK has guidance for people who wish to make representations. We have also produced our own guidance: Problems with licensed premises. Representations are in the public domain. Copies are sent to applicants to allow discussions and with the notice of hearing.  They are also included in licensing committee hearing reports.  These are public documents.

Public register of licences

Information on licenced premises can be found in our online Public Register

Contact: Licensing Team. Tel: 01827 709445. Email:

Latest Application forms