Health and wellbeing projects get £550,000 funding
In December 2014, the Tamworth Strategic Partnership announced that it had a pot of £550,000 available to fund projects to improve health and wellbeing in Tamworth – and asked groups to apply for funding.
Tamworth Borough Council, Staffordshire County Council, South East Staffordshire & Seisdon Peninsula Clinical Commissioning Group and Staffordshire Police, through the Police & Crime Commissioner’s Locality Fund made funding available for projects to improve wellbeing in Tamworth over the next two years and invited applications for projects to create stronger communities, reduce social isolation, raise aspiration, improve health and help vulnerable groups.
The funding was available to private, public and voluntary sector groups and to those based outside the boundary of Tamworth – although projects needed to be delivered in Tamworth and for the benefit of Tamworth people to be eligible.
A total of 47 bids were received, all of which underwent careful evaluation to ensure they met the criteria for funding.
The successful projects are:
- Cooking Healthy With a Budget (Communities Together CIC) – a six-week course including healthy cooking demonstrations to groups across Tamworth.
- Wellies Grow It Cook It Eat It (Staffordshire Care Farming) – two eight-week programmes giving participants the skills to grow and cook their own food.
- Active Tamworth (Tamworth Borough Council) – four projects providing physical exercise at the Cornerpost Gym, free guided walks, sports for children & young people, community health champions.
- Bereavement service (CRUSE) – Bereavement support and counselling through one-to-one sessions, telephone sessions and group sessions.
- Volunteering For All (Support Staffordshire and Tamworth CVS) – Supported volunteering services for people who face barriers and challenges to enable them to take part in volunteering.
- Wellies 4 Work (Staffordshire Care Farming) – two eight-week programmes helping people to get back into work, including one-to-one mentoring sessions.
- Positive Steps For Change (Communities Together CIC) –Helping 160 people to make positive changes to their lives, including health, social and work life through the creation of a tailored action plan.
- Safe and Well (Brighter Futures) – Support for people with complex needs living in Tamworth.
- Dementia Support Service (Alzheimer’s Society) – one-to-one support for people with dementia, their family and carers.
- Home Visit Project (Home-Start) –Home visit support for families with issues including post-natal depression, isolation, disability etc
- Emotional wellbeing service for children and young people (Malachi Specialist Services) – provides brief therapeutic interventions to support children and young people experiencing mild to moderate difficulties with their emotional wellbeing.
These contracts will run until March 2017.
For more information on contracts awarded, please see our contract register