Incentive to Move
Council tenants can receive up to £1,000 for moving into a smaller property. Cash payments and a range of options are available to those giving up larger properties to move to a smaller home without having to worry about the expense.
It is also open to tenants living in wheelchair adapted properties they no longer need as well as' chain lets', such as families giving up two or three properties to move into one larger property.
To apply for a transfer, please register on the Finding a Home waiting list and complete an incentive to move application form. We will write to you advising if your application has been successful or not. If it is, you will be awarded priority band 1 and be able to bid for available properties.
You are under no pressure to accept any property you do not want. Support with bidding is available.
Terms and conditions
- You must be an existing council tenant
- Occupy a general needs house or a property which has been adapted for wheelchair use
- Agree to transfer to a flat or bungalow that meets your housing need
- Have a clear rent account and an approved property inspection
- You can move to other landlords but the cash payment is only available to those transferring to another Tamworth Borough Council property
A fixed incentive payment of £1,000 will be made to those transferring from a general needs house to smaller non-adapted property, or we will arrange and pay for removal costs up to value of £1,000. You may also receive a decoration allowance for your new home.
The council reserves the right to reduce payments by:
- The amount of rent owed to the council at the time of the transfer
- The cost of any works the council has to undertake as a result of damage or neglect by the tenant
- Any outstanding court costs
If you have caused major damage to your present property we reserves the right to refuse your move.
Typical Removal costs include:
- Arranging and removing furniture and belongings
- Removing and relaying carpets
- Disconnecting and reconnecting cooker and washing machines
- Removing and refitting TV aerial
- Transferring telephone
- We will also consider other items on an individual basis
Payments are authorised once you have moved and following a property inspection. These are usually done within four weeks.
Contact: Voids and Allocation team. Tel: 01827 709520. Email: email@example.com.