This website will be unavailable from 5.15pm, Monday 12 December.
Mears provide repairs for all of the council’s properties.
To report an issue call: Freephone 0800 183 00 44
This number is also for out-of-hours enquiries. (If you call from a mobile phone it is likely you will be charged for the call by your mobile provider.)
Non-urgent repairs can also be reported by email to email@example.com
All Mears staff carry ID cards and tenants are encouraged to ask to see it. Please phone the borough council with any concerns you may have. Mears will phone or text ahead of carrying out repairs, to ensure you are kept informed about your repair.
While Mears carry out repairs on behalf of Tamworth Borough Council, you have responsibilities for a number of repairs in your home.
- Take a look at our document which tells you exactly what your responsibilities are as a tenant.
- Allow repair workers into your home to carry out repairs, annual safety checks and inspections
- Decorate the inside of your home to a reasonable standard, including filling minor cracks or holes in walls
- To inform Mears (freephone 0800 183 0044) as soon as you notice a repair is needed and take action to prevent it getting worse. Please note calls from mobile phones may be charged
- Take action to prevent and control the build up of moisture (condensation) Read our guidance notes for dealing with damp and condensation here.
- Take steps to prevent blockages in waste pipes or drains
- Take action to prevent pipes from freezing or bursting
- Arrange for the repair of any damage caused by you, a member of your household or a visitor
Tenants are expected to do the following tasks themselves or arrange to get them done:
- Replace door locks or keys when they are lost, broken or you get locked out
- Get extra keys cut
- Replace glass in windows/doors, unless the cause of the damage was outside your control
- Fitting bells, latches, knobs, handles, chains or additional locks to doors
- Adjust doors, particularly when you have new carpets fitted
- Fitting curtain rails, pelmets, picture rails, and coat hooks
- Replace light bulbs fluorescent tubes and starters
- Reset trip switches
- Test/clean battery operated smoke detectors
- Replace TV aerials and sockets - unless communal aerials
- Try to clear blocked basins sinks baths and toilets
- Replace toilet seats
- Replace plugs and chains on baths basins and sinks
- De-scale shower heads
- Fit waste and pipework for washing machines/dishwashers, vents for tumble dryers
- Replace clothes lines
- Maintain general garden paths (not those to front or back doors) and general garden features
- Keep gully grids clear of leaves and rubbish