Do you own an empty home in Tamworth?
There are around 200 empty homes in Tamworth which have been empty for six months or longer. We are committed to working with owners to bring these homes back into use as housing for people to live in. The Council has now launched a pilot scheme to buy empty homes.
Reporting an empty property: If you know of an empty property, particularly one that has been empty for a long time, please contact us or use our report it online form.
Owners of homes which have been empty for more than 12 months can apply for up to £10,000 to bring their empty property up to a lettable standard. One of the conditions is the property is put on our nomination scheme for up to three years.
What are the benefits of returning empty homes back into use?
For the owner:
- If the property is sold, the owner can release any equity within the property
- If the property is rented, the owner receives an income from the property
- Leaving a property empty could increase insurance premiums
- Council Tax is paid for by the tenant
For the community
- The opportunity for fly-tipping and anti-social behaviour is reduced
- An empty home can have a negative effect on a neighbourhood, reducing house prices and lowering pride in an area
- Provide much-needed housing
For the local economy
- Bringing an empty home back into use can contribute to the regeneration of an area, increase spending in the local economy and helping to protect the value of surrounding properties
- Unsightly properties can often deter investment in an area, which can lead to decline
For the wider community
- It may reduce demands on the Police, Fire Service and Council to deal with associated problems.
The Council has a dedicated team working to return empty homes back into use and does this by offering advice and assistance and, in some instances, financial support to owners of empty homes.
We can offer the following:
- Advice and assistance
- Funding for empty homes
- Derventio scheme
- Enforcement action
- Returning commercial units
Report an empty home
Do you know of an empty property in Tamworth? If so, you can report it to the Council by telephoning 01827 709469 or alternatively you can report it online. Please provide as much information about the property as you possibly can.
For further information or to report an empty property, contact: Tel: 01827 709469. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.